- ¼ cup Sabudana tapioca pearls (sago)
- ½ cup water for soaking the Sabudana
- 3 cups DAH! Plain Lassi
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 7-8 cashews
- 7-8 almonds
- 4-5 pistachios shelled
- pinch saffron kesar
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder elaichi
- ¼ cup sugar, adjust to taste
- Rinse the sabudana 3-4 times till the water runs clear.
- Soak the tapioca in half a cup of water for 20-30 mins then drain and keep aside. Soak longer to reduce the cooking time. The tapioca will swell up and double up (½ cup) in quantity.
- Similarly soak the almonds in hot water for 10 mins, peel the skin off and roughly slice them along with pistachios and cashews and keep them aside with raisins.
- In a thick-bottomed pot bring DAH! Lassi to a boil. Put a tablespoon or two in a small bowl. Add saffron threads to it and let it soak.
- Add the soaked and drained tapioca. Stir well and cover and cook on low heat simmering until the tapioca turns transparent and the Lassi thickens and reduces (approximately 45-60 mins).
- Keep stirring intermittently to prevent the Lassi and Tapioca from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Check if the tapioca is cooked. You should be able to mash it between thumb and index finger.
- Add chopped dry fruits -cashews, raisins, and almonds (reserving few for garnishing along with pistachios), saffron soaked in Lassi, cardamom powder, and sugar.
- Mix well, simmer for another 5-10mins and kheer is ready!