All the ingredients should be at room temperature.
- 1 & 1/4 cups fine semolina flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flavorless oil
- 1/2 cup non sour yogurt
- 3/4 cup DAH! Plain Lassi
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon saffron
Ingredients For the Glaze
- 2 tablespoon castor sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ Cup chopped pistachio
- Grease an 8-inch cake tin with little oil or oil spray and dust with flour to coat the pan. Use a parchment paper to line the base of the tin. I used a cake tin with a removable bottom.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add salt, whisk the dry ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- In a sufficiently large bowl, add yogurt, whisk it well to get rid of any lumps. Then add Lassi, oil, sugar, clear vanilla, cardamom and saffron. Whisk well to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Add the semolina to the liquid ingredients, mix well, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, the semolina will have absorbed the liquid, the batter will become thicker. After about 20 minutes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C, position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking tin. Bake in the middle rack, for about 35 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a rack in the tin for 15 minutes.
- Then remove from the tin and cool on the rack completely.
Prepare Lemon Glaze:
9. Meanwhile prepare the glaze, by combining castor sugar and lemon juice. Set aside.
10. Once the cake is baked, let it sit in the cake tin for 5 – 10 minutes. Next, transfer it to a wire rack and allow to come to room temperature.
Decorate The Cake:
11. Pour lemon glaze over the cake. Sprinkle chopped pistachios on top.